[External] Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023 (was: Fwd: [arin-announce] Availability of the Legacy Fee Cap for New LRSA Entrants Ending as of 31 December 2023)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Sep 19 16:10:30 UTC 2022

On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 7:39 AM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:?
> On 16 Sep 2022, at 10:11 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
>> As a simple example, ARIN's contract need not require its customers to
>> give up their resources when ceasing to pay ARIN for services.  (There's
>
> A wonderful assertion, but false.

Of course ARIN could adjust its contract that way. That ARIN -chooses-
not to.does not make John Gilmore's claim false.

Moreover, ARIN could choose to offer RPKI service under a contract
which specifies only that the RPKI services are applicable only to IP
addresses registered to the contractee at ARIN without saying anything
about how they're registered. Such an approach would meet ARIN's
self-imposed requirement to treat everybody the same without
disturbing the status quo for legacy registrations.

ARIN chooses not to SOLELY as a -forcing function- to get legacy
registrants to sign an RSA declaring that they've no rights over the
IP addresses. And ARIN does so to the detriment of the routing
community which would benefit from those legacy registrants joining
the RPKI system.

And I'd be willing to bet that if you polled the ARIN members, the
majority would rather have the legacy registrants participate in RPKI
even if they didn't have to sign the RSA covering their IP addresses
to do it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--