Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023 (was: Fwd: [arin-announce] Availability of the Legacy Fee Cap for New LRSA Entrants Ending as of 31 December 2023)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Sep 19 14:51:59 UTC 2022

Tom -

That’s one way of characterizing the situation, but there’s also a deeper aspect that may not be readily apparent –

The nature of the Internet number registry system is inherently different than that a normal customer / vendor relationship,
in that the entire concept underlying the system is that it would be the industry engaged in a form of self-regulation (rather
than folks simply receiving a service paid for and defined by the US Government, or procuring some off-the-shelf commercial
service); i.e., the users of the Internet number registry system were intended to be the stakeholders that governed each of
the regional Internet registries, with each RIR acting a steward of the Internet number resources in its region.

At ARIN’s inception, legacy resource holders were provided the same services as before w/o any requirement to pay a fee or
enter into a contract – that’s a very reasonable transition approach.  Alas, there was no consideration given to further evolution
of services/rights for legacy resource holders, as the assumption was that those desiring some form of evolution of their RIR
services would become stakeholders and discuss it with the rest of the community via participation in governance of their
regional Internet number registry.   The concept of number resources that were part of – but somehow external to the
governance of the Internet number registry in perpetuity – actually runs contrary to the very concept of self-regulating
community-based stewardship, and hence a significant part of disconnect behind the disagreements that we see here.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO