[External] Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023 (was: Fwd: [arin-announce] Availability of the Legacy Fee Cap for New LRSA Entrants Ending as of 31 December 2023)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Sep 18 18:17:47 UTC 2022

> On Sep 15, 2022, at 22:04 , Rubens Kuhl <rubensk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 12:45 PM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us <mailto:bill at herrin.us>> wrote:

>>> That's only true in the current environment where RPKI is only used to
>>> invalidate bogus routes. When any reachability for RPKI-unknowns is
>>> lost, that will change.
>>
>> Hi Rubens,
>>
>> If you want to bet me on folks ever deciding to discard RPKI-unknowns
>> down in the legacy class C's I'll be happy to take your money.
>
> I don't think people will look at even the class, and definitively not
> to legacy or non-legacy partitions.
> They will either drop it all, or not drop it at all.
>
> Note that when the only IP blocks that spammers and abusers can inject
> in the system are non-signed ones, those blocks will get bad
> reputations pretty fast. So the legacy holders use case for RPKI might
> come sooner than you think.

Nah… Because the reputations will still be the individual /24s and while
lots of /24s around mine have bad reputations, mine doesn’t and never has
(modulo a couple of administrative errors that were on me and legitimately
my fault, not actual spammers).

>> Anyway, the risk/reward calculation for NOT signing the LRSA right now
>> is really a no-brainer. It's just unfortunate that means I won't get
>> an early start on RPKI.
>
> Discarding RPKI-invalids is something you can do right now and that
> doesn't come with a price tag. Good BCP38 and RPKI-invalid hygiene is
> the thankless gift you can give to the community.

Yes, but I think that RPKI unknowns are never going to be something that
can be safely dropped and 90% of RPKI invalids so far seem to be people
making RPKI mistakes with their legitimate announcements.

The more I look at RPKI, the more it looks like a lot of effort with very little
benefit to the community.

YMMV

Owen