[External] Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Sep 16 22:06:23 UTC 2022

Bill –

From a great height or distance, your “bottom line” summary of a some form of status quo probably
appears accurate.

(I am unfortunately much closer and see quite a bit a of detail lost in it; for example, we have been
enforcing different community-developed transfer policies that have changed over the years, and
that has very real-world implications for those who wish monetize their excess number resources –
similarly, we revoke legacy resources from parties who have hijacking or otherwise surreptitiously
obtained them so that the proper party can recover their resources, etc.  These activities routinely
take place today and are based on application of policies that did not exist 25 years ago to all of
the number resources in the registry - legacy number resources included.)

We have had parties litigate to prevent application of community policy to their legacy number
resources and they have never prevailed to date – ARIN continues to operate the registry
according to the community-developed policies in the region. Indeed, this record of success is
likely just as much the result of the community not creating burdensome policy obligations on
resource holders (such an approach is particularly prudent when it comes to legacy resource
holders since many have not updated their contact information over the years and therefore
the ability to reliably inform them of any new obligations is a rather reasonable concern.)

The ARIN policy development process is open to all and transparent in operation, and ARIN
operates the registry in accordance to the developed policies.  I am not aware of any obligations
of ARIN that prevent us from doing so or might even remotely suggest that any party be immune
from such policies, but can say without any doubt that the US government expects our developed
policies to define how the Internet numbers "are managed and allocated within the North American
region.”

To the extent that the community continues to be reasonable in its obligations on number resource
holders in the region, we may indeed see a lack of contentious outcomes (and continuity of what
you may perceive as an apparent “status quo”) – but that only means that ARIN will continue enforce
the policy – including as it evolves – for all number resources in the registry - just we do today.  Folks
who have any concerns about the potential of policy developed by this community affecting their IP
number resources are advised to participate in the open policy development process (you can find
more details here - https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran