[External] Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Sep 16 19:21:02 UTC 2022

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 12:00 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> We’ve actually had the matter before many judges, and have never been ordered to do
> anything other than operate the registry per the number resource policy as developed by
> this community – this has been the consistent outcome throughout both civil and bankruptcy
> proceedings.  Yes, we do settle cases, but only when that basic principle is upheld.  At no
> time has the alternative (that for some reason legacy resource holders do not have meet
> the policies developed by the ARIN community) been upheld in any orders granted – and
> not for lack of trying.

Well John, the thing about settled cases and orders the court
-doesn't- make is that they create no precedent and ultimately fail to
answer the legal question for the next case. All they show is that in
cases where the registrant could prove he was the real registrant,
ARIN offered terms more attractive to the registrant than pursuing
litigation to its conclusion.

Whatever line you'd have to cross for a registrant to go the distance
with you in court, the status quo doesn't cross it.

> instead consistently end up settling with orders that recognize ARIN’s
> ability to operate  the registry according to the community-developed policy

That's quite an overstatement. As far as I'm aware, with respect to
the legacy registrations the only order any court ever made was that
within the facts of that particular case, ARIN could refuse to
-record- a transfer of registration absent a contract.

Regards,
Bill Herrin
--
For hire. https://bill.herrin.us/resume/