[External] Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Sep 16 19:00:24 UTC 2022

On 16 Sep 2022, at 2:53 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us<mailto:bill at herrin.us>> wrote:

ARIN has its official theories and each of the legacy registrants have
theirs. For the past 25 years, ARIN has not elected to challenge the
legacy registrants in a manner substantive enough to require the
question to be resolved.

<chuckle> I’d disagree with that characterization - since this has been before judges
and resolved numerous times.

We’ve actually had the matter before many judges, and have never been ordered to do
anything other than operate the registry per the number resource policy as developed by
this community – this has been the consistent outcome throughout both civil and bankruptcy
proceedings.  Yes, we do settle cases, but only when that basic principle is upheld.  At no
time has the alternative (that for some reason legacy resource holders do not have meet
the policies developed by the ARIN community) been upheld in any orders granted – and
not for lack of trying.

Alas, those who seek such an outcome have never been successful in arguing its merits,
and  instead consistently end up settling with orders that recognize ARIN’s ability to operate
the registry according to the community-developed policy, including the application of the
policy to their address blocks. ARIN simply doesn’t settle absent those terms, as it is simply
a fundamental principle of our inception.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO