[External] Re: Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023 (was: Fwd: [arin-announce] Availability of the Legacy Fee Cap for New LRSA Entrants Ending as of 31 December 2023)

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 04:09:00 UTC 2022

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 11:55 AM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 8:51 PM Rubens Kuhl <rubensk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 10:56 AM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> > > Well, I'm one of the people who'd publish RPKI records for my /23 if I
> > > had the ability to do so and I definitely would NOT pay merit $595/yr
> > > (let alone $1k or $2k) to gain that ability. YMMV but I'm willing to
> > > bet there's not enough money out there to fund it with direct user
> > > fees and even if there was, the level of participation in the presence
> > > of more than trivial user fees would be too low to be worth the
> > > effort.
> >
> > Your /23 is worth only USD 30k, so you are definitely not in a
> > position to find that affordable.
> > It seems ARIN LRSA with the current fees and caps would be the best
> > option, and that option has a time limit.
>
> No, the best option for me right now is that I just don't participate
> in RPKI and the system has one less participant. And that's a shame.

That's only true in the current environment where RPKI is only used to
invalidate bogus routes. When any reachability for RPKI-unknowns is
lost, that will change. But it will be too late then to join the
system, so you just sell it for USD 50k and start using NAT.

Just a calculation: current LRSA fee is USD 150, cap is 25 USD per
year increase. 2X-Small is USD 500 per year, so it will take 14 years
to reach that level. Pick your poison, NAT or LRSA.

Rubens

Rubens