[External] Re: Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023 (was: Fwd: [arin-announce] Availability of the Legacy Fee Cap for New LRSA Entrants Ending as of 31 December 2023)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Sep 16 02:41:07 UTC 2022

On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 7:32 PM Rubens Kuhl <rubensk at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > the rpki design cabal assumed the iana would be the rpki root.  rir
> > > power players blocked that.  so each rir is 0/0.  brilliant, eh?
> >
> > Which means that all you'd need is a volunteer group with "street
> > cred" to set up an RPKI for legacy holders and then convince folks to
> > use their trust anchor too. Or have I missed something?
>
> Merit, perhaps ?
>
> But they would need to do a much stricter validation that they
> currently have in RADB, which is more like Sledgehammer motto "Trust
> me, I know what I'm doing".

Hi Rubens,

Last I checked, Merit was -really- expensive for RADB. I don't really
see getting more than about 5 figures total per year out of the legacy
registrants for RPKI, if that much. I think it'd have to be a
volunteer effort or something funded by someone who finds it to their
advantage that the legacy registrants publish RPKI records. Like the
way Letsencrypt is funded.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--