[External] Re: Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023 (was: Fwd: [arin-announce] Availability of the Legacy Fee Cap for New LRSA Entrants Ending as of 31 December 2023)

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 23:16:48 UTC 2022

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 7:07 AM Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> > You could try suggesting IANA/PTI/ICANN to have a different RPKI trust
> > anchor and provide such services to legacy block holders.
>
> the rpki design cabal assumed the iana would be the rpki root.  rir
> power players blocked that.  so each rir is 0/0.  brilliant, eh?

I'm not fond of that decision either, but at this point it is how it
is. We already have the operation of inter-RIR reverse DNS
synchronization since each /8 is not single-RIR anymore, and I believe
a similar mechanism could have allowed for a single RPKI root.

But I note that the 0/0 trust anchors preceded IANA transition to PTI,
and that even after the transition, we still have an organization that
doesn't have jurisdictional immunity in the US to prevent possible
petty challenges to the system. So the world at large still benefits
from the multiple trust anchor design, when all trade-offs are
accounted for.

Rubens