[External] Re: Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023 (was: Fwd: [arin-announce] Availability of the Legacy Fee Cap for New LRSA Entrants Ending as of 31 December 2023)

Tom Krenn Tom.Krenn at hennepin.us
Thu Sep 15 21:18:26 UTC 2022

Speaking from the enterprise / end site perspective I would bet there are a lot of legacy holders that other than maybe updating their reverse DNS records once or twice haven’t looked at ARIN policies or their allocation since the late 1980s. In most cases there really is not strong technical reason to, the stuff just keeps working.

We are put in kind of an awkward place by the current policies. On one hand some of us would like to be good Internet citizens and implement things like IRR and RPKI for our resources to help the larger community. But show the RSA/LRSA to your lawyers with the justification that "I would like to implement RPKI, but everything will keep working even if we don't." You can bet they will never jump on board. On one hand there is a push from ARIN and the larger community to use these advanced services, but on the other hand the fees and risk far outweigh the benefits. (Heck the fees aren’t even that big of a deal, just the risk of loosing control of our legacy allocations.)

Tom Krenn
Network Architect
Enterprise Architecture - Information Technology