Rogers Outage: What do we Know After Two Months?

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 23:21:42 UTC 2022

I did a ctrl-f for "Shaw" in that article and there's zero mention of it.

I realize that the Internet Society is meant to remain neutral and not
comment subjectively on matters of market competition and conglomeration of
telecoms.

It's very concerning to me that the Rogers/Shaw acquisition-merger will
likely be allowed to proceed, even further reducing competition, and
increasing centralization (the opposite of the *decentralization* mentioned
in the article). From the point of view of a Canadian who works primarily
for US-based ISPs these days, at least in the US there's seven or eight
gargantuan multi-billion-dollar sized last mile cable operators. In many
parts of Canada it's just Rogers or Shaw. It's not a good situation at all
for the consumer.