Jon Postel Re: 202210301538.AYC

Vasilenko Eduard vasilenko.eduard at huawei.com
Mon Oct 31 06:36:10 UTC 2022

1.       What is going on on the Internet is not democracy even formally, because there is no formal voting.
3GPP, ETSI, 802.11 have voting. IETF decisions are made by bosses who did manage to gain power (primarily by establishing a proper network of relationships).
It could be even called “totalitarian” because IETF bosses could stay in one position for decades.

2.       Democracy does not work anywhere because unqualified people could be driven to make wrong decisions.
Voting qualification check is mandatory, not everybody should have the right to vote for a particular question.
I do not want to tell what was the qualification check in the early US or ancient Greece (where democracy was working) – because many would shout at me. It is not relevant to the technical group anyway.
ETSI filters voting rights by money – the company should pay for memberships.
802.11 filter voting rights by the member's physical presence on the last 4 meetings.
It is not ideal but it is better than no filtering at all.

Eduard