any dangers of filtering every /24 on full internet table to preserve FIB space ?

Jon Sands fohdeesha at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 14:49:14 UTC 2022

Been doing exactly this for a couple ASNs for a few years now with
surprisingly good results (thanks to advice way far back from my good
friend Brandon Martin above, coincidentally). One of them is even on an L3
switch with something like 96k max routes. Taking defaults from two
upstream providers and ECMPing between them. This particular AS is a pretty
predictable network so after running netflow for a while, compiling a list
of the top ~1000 outbound ASs we talk to, then creating route filters to
allow any prefixes from this AS list into our forwarding table, it now has
something like 98% of it's traffic by volume covered by specifics from all
our upstreams, and of course ECMP defaults to fall back on for the
remaining 2%. Not pretty, but have had surprisingly zero issues or traffic
weirdness over a few years now - when customers want to play bgp but refuse
to buy actual routers you have to get creative :)