Newbies Question: Do I really need to sacrifice Prefix-aggregation to do BGP Load-sharing? (the case of Multi-homed + Multi-routers + Multi-upstreams)

Douglas Fischer fischerdouglas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 21:30:14 UTC 2022

I imagine it's an ISP you are talking about, where the traffic is mostly
inbound.

Hire transit companies that have good traffic engineering community
policies.
- Selective prepending or seletive no-export by:
-> Type of peer.
-> Geographic location of their routers.
-> ASN specific.

And then you can get the best out of every transit.
And so the bandwidth balancing will happen not based on your network
prefixes, but based on how the origins see your network.

Additionally:
DO NOT HIRE transit companies that arbitrarily remove all the communities
you mark on the routes you advertise.
By targeting communities with ASNs that are 2 or 3 hops away from the AS
you can also influence how the rest of the world views your network.
And most (not all) of the companies that remove the communities you tag do
this to force you to use what they choose and not what you think is best
for your network.