any dangers of filtering every /24 on full internet table to preserve FIB space ?

Jeff Tantsura jefftant.ietf at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 18:18:13 UTC 2022

There has been a number of efforts to implement FIB (actually BGP RIB) compression. There’s a white paper from MS research; I recall Spotify talking of running off-box BGP compression SW and re-injecting summarized BGP RIB; Volta Networks had an implementation of full BGP table compression to about 370K routes with no connectivity loss and  reasonably fast reaction of topology changes/disaggregation needed(it even won some Intel price for innovation), not sure what happened to it (Volta had been acquired by IBM some time ago). To my memory -  IOS-XR allows off box custom best path logic and  re-injection of routes into BGP RIB

Cheers,
Jeff