FCC chairwoman: Fines alone aren't enough (Robocalls)

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri Oct 7 18:20:45 UTC 2022

On 10/7/22 12:45 AM, Brian Turnbow via NANOG wrote:
>> The federal law in 47 USC 227(e) says:
>>
>> (1)In general
>>
>>   It shall be unlawful for any person within the United  States, or any person
>> outside the United States if the recipient is  within the United States, in
>> connection with any voice service or text  messaging service, to cause any
>> caller identification service to  knowingly transmit misleading or inaccurate
>> caller identification  information with the intent to defraud, cause harm, or
>> wrongfully  obtain anything of value, unless such transmission is exempted
>> pursuant to paragraph (3)(B).
>>
>> In (3)(B) is a narrow carve-out for law enforcement and court orders.
>>
>> The important point is that spoofing is illegal with fraudulent intent, OK with
>> benign intent.
> This is a very interesting conversation as there is a ongoing discussion on how to ban spoofed calls here in Italy..
> Here operators must identify each customer and ensure that they are screening incoming numbers.
I assume by "incoming" you mean incoming from the customer? That is,
you're making sure your customers are not spoofing?
> Most do, but some do not and become sources of spoofed traffic.
> The biggest problem however comes from out of country originators that allow foreign call centers to use Italian numbers.
Are these spoofed or are they actually allocated to them? If they are
actually allocated, their upstream provider should be enforcing too, right?
> Thus the calls come in from an international carrier.
> We are moving twords blocking incoming calls from international trunks containing Italian from numbers, something we see already in place for carriers in other EU countries such as France.
On the other hand, this makes your "incoming" above sound like incoming
from the phone network. So I'm probably confused.
> Most operators here have been against stir/shaken as a means to resolve the problems.

What reasons?

Mike