FCC chairwoman: Fines alone aren't enough (Robocalls)

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Wed Oct 5 00:23:11 UTC 2022

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022, Michael Thomas wrote:

> Exactly. And that doesn't require an elaborate PKI. Who is allowed to use
> what telephone numbers is an administrative issue for the ingress provider to
> police. It's the equivalent to gmail not allowing me to spoof whatever email
> address I want. The FCC could have required that ages ago.

  How does one carrier that gets DIDs from multiple other carriers
  communicate to the termination carrier selected during LCR that the DID
  set as CallerID is indeed serviced by that carrier and authorized to use
  said DID as CallerID?

  If a call is asynchronous, e.g. the DID carrier is not the terminating
  carrier, how can the termination carrier trust/know definitively that
  someone is allowed to use that CallerID?

  Don't forget the resellers!!!

Beckman