FCC chairwoman: Fines alone aren't enough (Robocalls)

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Tue Oct 4 19:09:24 UTC 2022

Back when P-Asserted-Identity was coming into being I screamed at the
top of my lungs that it was going to get abused. The reply was that the
telephone network was a closed system so it wasn't a problem. It turns
out that we were both sort of right. At that time, email submission
authentication was still pretty uncommon so most ISP's were open relay
sewers so there was nobody to name and shame, so we figured that it
would be a good idea to provide that means. That's pretty much the case
of telephony now since their providers don't care what the identity is
in the signaling. But it was always the case that they could care and
not allow spoofing, just like I can't spoof email addresses from my
gmail account. And very unlike email, telephony has lots of regulatory
machinery to require that to happen.

Mike