Newbie Concern: (BGP) AS-Path Oscillation

Pirawat WATANAPONGSE pirawat.w at ku.th
Mon Nov 28 05:52:16 UTC 2022

Dear Guru(s),

My apologies upfront if this question has already been asked.
If that’s the case, please kindly point me to the solution|thread so that
the mailing list bandwidth is not wasted.

Situation:
On one of our prefixes, we are detecting continuous “BGP AS-Path Changes”
in the order of 1,000 announcements per hour---practically one every 3-4
seconds.
Those paths oscillate between two of our immediate upstreams.

Questions:
1. Is this number of events “normal” for a prefix?
2. Is there any way we, as the tail-end (Origin Announcer), can do to
reduce it? Or should I just “let it be”?
3. [Extra] Is this kind of oscillation affecting user experience, say,
throughput and/or latency?

Thank you in advance for all the pointers and help.

Best Regards,

Pirawat.