Alternative Re: ipv4/25s and above Re: 202211210951.AYC

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 22:04:17 UTC 2022

Quite simply, expecting the vast amount of legacy ipv4-only equipment out
there in the world that is 10, 15, 20 years old to magically become
compatible with the use of 240/4 in the global routing table is a non
viable solution. It is not a financial reality for many small to medium
sized ISPs in lower income countries.

The amount of time and effort that would be required to implement your
proposal is much better spent on ipv6 implementation and various forms of
improved cgnat.

Trying to extend the use of ipv4 space resources for a few more years is
directly analogous to building sand castles on the beach when the tide is
obviously coming in.