EVPN ESI BUM Forwarding

Crist Clark cjc+nanog at pumpky.net
Fri Nov 18 06:48:05 UTC 2022

Thanks for the response. It really doesn't bear directly on my situation,
but it does have references to what I need in RFC 8365.

Now that I know the terminology for these features, "Split Horizon" and
"Local Bias" (neither of which seems to fit very well to me), it's easier
to find more info.

I understand the approach outlined in RFC 8365. Makes it look more like
something is not working right in our implementation. I did some definitive
packet captures showing that BUM traffic is going in the non-designated
member of the ESI and looping back out of the designated forwarder. Not all
BUM traffic is looped, just a small fraction. I want to investigate next if
the events have something to do with MAC address tables or some other
timers.

The switches doing it are two Arista 7050SX3 with a single instance VXLAN
EVPN. It should be a pretty simple setup. Not aware of any knobs to modify
any of this behavior or what we could be missing.