Random shower thought: GBIC with LC connector...

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Nov 15 19:27:57 UTC 2022

> On Nov 15, 2022, at 2:09 PM, Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 12:55 PM, Eric Litvin <eric at lumaoptics.net> wrote:
> Ahhhh, Gbics:
>
> If you google ws-g5483, 84, 86, 87 - you’ll see the whole line up. All had sc connectors except 83 which was copper rj45 connector.
>

> Well, clearly that's not true.
>
> As examples:
> The Cisco GigaStack GBIC - https://www.mtmnet.com/PDF_FILES/WS-X3500-XL_DataSheet.pdf - uses the 6 pin IEEE1394 (Firewire) connector
>
> 1000Base-CX uses twinax shielded twisted pair and the "HSSDC" connector - e.g: https://www.ebay.com/itm/372539150316
>
> I've seen (but cannot find a photo at the moment) a DB-9 GBIC (to allow connection to DB-9 fiber channel stuff)
>
> Someone used to sell an HD-BNC GBIC  - basically the GBIC version of https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1430372-REG/wohler_sfp_sdi_output_3g_sdi_transceiver_hd_bnc_connectors.html
>
> I've also somewhere seen an "F-style" coax GBIC to allow reuse of in-building coax - basically looked like a GBIC form factor version of http://www.mdslink.com/magic-sfp/

There’s a lot of things here that are feasible, because many modules are in the same form factor, eg XFP that is EDFA etc.

The specs (SFF-8024) have a variety of types and encodings with GBIC 2.4.2 and table 4.2

The SFF-8024 is being revved to v4.9.2 right now, so there’s always enhancements.

The SFP can be used to do SDI or other types of output that are non-IP.

It is nice to seeing things move to CMIS if you’ve dealt with all the lack-of-clarity in the hardware and software specifications for what bits are set or required to be set, which is why some optics haven’t always worked because the EEPROM had TX_Disable set or similar.

- Jared