Why do ROV-ASes announce some invalid route?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 17:36:59 UTC 2022

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 8:49 AM Lukas Tribus <lukas at ltri.eu> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2022 at 14:00, Christopher Morrow
> <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, also, possibly the output path on the session(s) here is not
> > filtering in an OV fashion.
>
> ROV belongs on the input path, let's not ROV on the output towards
> customers / route collectors.

sure. This assumes a 100% coverage for all inputs to the rib-out on
the customer port we're talking about, though.
If you don't have 100% coverage you'll end up with the leaks
seen/reported by the OP.

I don't mean to say/imply:
  "Hey, everyone(anyone) should do OV on output"

I mean to say that:
  "Hey, if you see OV failures leaking, this is probably a side effect
of the behavior/design
   choices a network made." (not doing OV filtering on one of
peer/customer/transit type
   peerings."

-chris