Why do ROV-ASes announce some invalid route?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 13:00:45 UTC 2022

<note I didn't look at the RV data for this>

There are 2 sides to the bgp conversation for any ASN, and then really 4 sides.
  customer -> RAS -> peer (settlement-free)
  peer(sfp) -> RAS -> customer
  customer -> ras -> transit
  transit -> ras -> customer

Depending on the RAS's capabilities or status in their journey to
'fully RAS', it's
possible that they may have:
  o "We OV all customer sessions" (notably not SFP peers)
  o "We OV all sessions(*)" (noting not all, and maybe depending on
platform specifics)

There are a bunch of ways this goes wrong :( This also doesn't really
tell what sort of peering
the RAS has set up with RouteViews (customer? peer? partial peer?)

Also, also, possibly the output path on the session(s) here is not
filtering in an OV fashion.