BCP38 For BGP Customers

Douglas Fischer fischerdouglas at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 13:28:09 UTC 2022

I also have this concern about Spoofing coming from Downstreams.

And after a lot of struggle I can say that using uRPF in strict mode per
interface doing FIB lookup is not a good idea!
And I feel sad to have to say that.

I've spent a lot of time wrestling with this issue, and the measurement
that matters most, which are support tickets, doesn't show good results.

The best option I've found so far?
It is to use the same Prefix-List that you use to release the routes
accepted in the BGP session in a Filter Policy applied in the interface
with the Downstream.
Another important point to note is that you MUST NOT drop everything else
that doesn't match this Prefix-List.
(Yes, I know it's hard to accept that...)
But put a bandwidth and PPS control on what doesn't match the prefix-list,
and block what exceeds.
And why do it this way?
Among other reasons, it is very common that Exceeded TTL responses come
with source IPs for private use, or IP blocks that are for public use but
not announced to the DFZ.

With this method of a Policy-Filter based on the same Prefix-List as BGP
and a rate-limit that doesn't match the prefix-list you won't block 100% of
the spoofed packets that might come from a downstream, but it certainly
will. block an eventual DDoS vector coming from this interface.
It is worth remembering that your neighborhood router with Downstream has
to support this type of filtering in high capacity. And it is almost
certain that only hardware based filtering scenarios will handle this.

--
Douglas Fernando Fischer
Engº de Controle e Automação