Why do ROV-ASes announce some invalid route?

Job Snijders job at fastly.com
Mon Nov 7 16:11:24 UTC 2022

Dear 孙乐童,

On Mon, Nov 07, 2022 at 08:40:57PM +0800, 孙乐童 wrote:
> We learned from Cloudflare's https://isbgpsafeyet.com/ that some ASes
> have deployed RPKI Origin Validation (ROV). However, we downloaded BGP
> collection data from RouteViews and RipeRis platforms and found that
> some ROV-ASes can announce some invalid routes. For example, from RIB
> data at 2022-10-31 00:00:00, 13 out of 17 ASes which declared to
> deploy ROV announced invalid routes, and we list the number of related
> prefixes for each AS below.
>
> [snip]
>
> As a comparison, we count the invalid routes the non-ROV ASes (also
> declared in https://isbgpsafeyet.com/) announces, as below:
>
> We can see that ROV ASes announced apparently fewer invalid routes
> compared to the non-ROV ASes, though they did not filter all the
> invalids.
>
> [snip]
>
> Can anyone help us to correctly interpret this case? Thank you very much.

You ask great questions! I hope an answer to your questions can be found
in a message I sent a year ago:

	https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2021-April/213346.html

The summary: in any sufficiently large network, chances are not 100% of
all equipment supports RPKI-based BGP Route Origin Validation; in such
cases a handful of invalid routes may still percolate through the
system. Another contributing factor might be certain types of software
upgrades; where ROV temporarily is disabled on one or more devices. Or
perhaps an ISP made a handful of exceptions for test/beacon invalid
routes to propagate.

Kind regards,

Job