Jon Postel Re: 202210301538.AYC

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Nov 7 15:59:28 UTC 2022

some minor observations from the vantage point of a former AD inline.

On 11/2/22 17:48, Donald Eastlake wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 12:03 PM Vasilenko Eduard
> <vasilenko.eduard at huawei.com> wrote:
>> It is believed by many that 2 terms should be the maximum for one position of any chair (if it is a democracy).
> Although this isn't a written guideline, many people believe that the
> first 2 years in an Area Director position are sort of a probationary
> period and as long as the AD does adequately, they should normally be
> continued for a 2nd term, if they want it. Being continued for a 3rd
> or later term should only be for superior performance and in the
> absence of an apparently stronger alternative. Note the following

In my observed experience, it pretty much falls to a incumbent AD, to
recruit alternatives, assuming they are doing a tolerable job of
addressing the needs of their working groups. having done my 2 terms I
found the role to be more one of middle management then of leadership,
with the possible exception  of organizing and promoting new work
organization around BOFs and working group formation.

ADs are highly dependent on WG chairs and senior individual contributors
when it comes to advancing any particular activity.

>     -- Having served in one capacity or another on six Nomcoms over the
> 30 year history of the Nomcom system and I can assure you that there
> are always at least 1 or 2 positions for which the Nomcom, after the
> normal nomination period, has only zero or one possibilities to choose
> between and it is common for NomCom to have to engage in substantial
> recruiting (aka "arm twisting") to get more nominees from which to
> choose. I just checked the NomCom pages and right now there are three
> positions where, for the 2022-2024 term, the current NomCom has only
> one person who has been nominated and agreed to run. So it isn't like
> they have a vast pool of willing people to choose between.
>     -- Most former Area Directors say that there is a substantial
> learning curve and it takes about a year before you are fully
> effective as an Area Director. So, if ADs were limited to 1 term of 2
> years, the IESG would only be 50 to 75% effective. With 2 terms of 2
> years, it is more like 75 to 88% effective.

Also, serving as an AD is significantly detrimental to one's  own work
in the IETF, both from a time perspective and respecting any chair, or
other positions in one's area that you would give up in the process. As
a volunteer activity there is a significant community service aspect too
it. Unless your career goals involve a sympathetic employer and a goal
of joining and staying in internet governance long term ADship has a
significant impact on your ability to contribute to the IETF. I did my 4
years, that was enough.

> Furthermore, most Areas of the IETF have two co-ADs who tend to
> moderate each other and many decisions are made by the IESG, which
> consists of all the ADs, which is a further moderating effect.
>
>> It is evidently not the case for IETF - people stay in power for decades. It is just a fact that is not possible to dispute.
>> Yes, Nomcom is the mechanism for AD and above. I do not want to sort out how exactly it is performed.
> Well, the NomCom system is well documented in a number of RFCs.
>
> The most powerful single position in the IETF is the IETF Chair. As
> you can see from the attached image only one person has served as IETF
> Chair for as long as 8 years but as soon as the nomcom system was
> started, they were replaced. After that, only one other person served
> as long as 6 years, which was Russ Housley who I think was a
> particularly good IETF Chair. All others have been limited to 2 or 4
> years (1 or 2 terms). It would take a lot more work to do a similar
> analysis for AD positions but I believe you would find that the length
> of time in office for ADs was longer in the early days of the IETF and
> is now rarely over 6 years.
>
> In an earlier message, you said something about people retaining
> positions due to networking with other people. Well, I would say that
> is characteristic of all human organizations (unless you go with
> strict Sortition). See my RFC 4144 "How to Gain Prominence and
> Influence in Standards Organizations".

The IETF as a whole has activities (Working Groups) whose productivity
on a given topic is largely driven by a small number of  individual
contributors, these folks are entirely self-selected (authors, editors,
collaborators, implentors). While there is not doubt quite a bit of
survivor bias, networking and well as the capacity to be present (in
person, remote) are necessary and rather expensive parts of advancing
given pieces of work.