Jon Postel Re: 202210301538.AYC

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Sun Nov 6 09:04:47 UTC 2022

On 10/31/22 00:41, Abraham Y. Chen wrote:

> 2)  To follow what you are saying, I wonder how could we think "out of
> the box" or go "back to the future", before it is too late for our
> world wide communications infrastructure to serve as a reliable daily
> tool without being a distraction constantly?

At the risk of being severely off-topic, this is an existential question
that talks to the burden of priviledge.

Current society has such technological advancement, famine, drought and
war are not top-of-mind for most people (even if these issues are for
many), compared to millennia gone by.

The difficulty with modern-day priviledge is that many people cannot
answer the "why" to our existence, because there is simply easy and
abundant access to information, with comfort, that leaves so many
without direction until much later in life. In millennia gone by, your
purpose in life was to survive war, find food, find water, and keep your
kin alive. The world is, for the most part, too comfortable for that,
nowadays.

All that leads to is the "constant distraction" that we see today, more
so with the kids, but also with many adults. The very thing that has
propelled society in many useful ways, is also what is likely going to
set us back a tad.

Mark.