Jon Postel Re: 202210301538.AYC

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Wed Nov 2 12:33:35 UTC 2022

Dear William:

0) "Internet Vendor Task Force indeed.":  Thank you so much in
distilling this thread one more step for getting even closer to its essence.

1)  The ITU charter is explicit in that governments are the parties who
sponsor the Recommendations, then implement them as desired,
respectively as well as dealing with the outcome, no matter it is good
or bad, since there is no scapegoat.

2)  The IETF is implicitly sponsored by businesses to create RFCs then
impose them on (although may be called voluntarily adopted by) players
internationally, without claiming much responsibility for its effects to
the society. That is, the wealth of the citizens is extracted by the
businesses through RFCs starting from treating IP addresses as private
properties, while the governments bear the burden of dealing with the
negative effects such as cybersecurity vulnerabilities.

3)  It appears to me that by mentally branding ITU type of UN
organizations "evil", the delicate balance between Cause & Consequence
has been broken in the Internet era, with the businesses taking
advantage of the first "C" for the benefit of their "shareholders"
(creating billionaire CEOs, COOs, CFOs, etc.) while leaving the second
"C" for the governments and the poor peasants to endure. I am not sure
whether this is an improved operation model.

4)  No wonder that there was an APNIC Labs Policy notes about "The
Internet's Gilded Age" sometime ago. We need to recognize this root
cause and begin to take corrective actions for navigating out of it.

https://labs.apnic.net/?p=973

Regards,

Abe (2022-11-02 08:32 EDT)