FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

odlyzko at umn.edu odlyzko at umn.edu
Thu May 26 14:33:47 UTC 2022

Yes, definitely.

But some of those criteria can be combined into one, namely
"transaction latency," how long it takes to get something
done.  Which includes things like uploading a video clip,
or a complicated PowerPoint deck, and (behind the scenes
from the standpoint of the end user) lots of interactions
between various computations and databases (like deciding
what ads to clutter your screen with).  So while high speed
won't solve all problems (the speed of light is rather hard
to exceed), it can help alleviate the transaction latency
annoyances by making sure those increasingly large data
transfers that are involved happen quickly.

Andrew