FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Tue May 24 14:57:17 UTC 2022

These people are fictional at this point.

Starlink has changed the equation such that there are basically no places
in the continental US that can't get service which is usable for most
internet needs.  I have starlink for backup purposes and don't notice any
meaningful practical difference between this and my main connection which
is about the same raw speed as starlink.   I use it for typical work from
home purposes including streaming, voip, and web usage.

If the government is going to fund anything at all anymore, it needs to be
fiber all the way to the home which is built and managed in a way that any
provider can use it.   This probably means a single strand from each home
to some concentration point no more than 10km from the home and then a
backbone/middle mile supporting several carriers from that point.   The
position of this concentration point to be determined by the density in the
area.