FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

David Bass davidbass570 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 11:34:23 UTC 2022

The real problem most users experience isn’t that they have a gig, or even
100Mb of available download bandwidth…it’s that they infrequently are able
to use that full bandwidth due to massive over subscription .

The other issue is the minimal upload speed.  It’s fairly easy to consume
the 10Mb that you’re typically getting as a residential customer.  Even
“business class” broadband service has a pretty poor upload bandwidth
limit.

We are a pretty high usage family, and 100/10 has been adequate, but
there’s been times when we are pegged at the 10 Mb upload limit, and we
start to see issues.

I’d say 25/5 is a minimum for a single person.

Would 1 gig be nice…yeah as long as the upload speed is dramatically
increased as part of that.  We would rarely use it, but that would likely
be sufficient for a long time.  I wouldn’t pay for the extra at this point
though.