FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon May 23 22:43:42 UTC 2022

I think a gig is not an unreasonable target… It’s 100Mbps plus adequate headroom for the likely oversubscription models and the occasional downloads that are modern day reality.

Nobody is going to consistently use 1Gbps, but the difference in wire time for a large download between 100Mbps and 1Gbps is significant.

Making 1Gbps available in today’s network technology isn’t significantly harder nor is it any more expensive than making 100Mbps available when you consider oversubscribed bandwidth which is inherent in today’s residential models.

I’m not so unreasonable as to suggest dedicated gig CIR everywhere, but something close to 100Mbps CIR with 1G burstability isn’t an unreasonable target IMHO.

Anything over 1G gets more complicated and more expensive with available technology today, though that silly 2.5G stuff is not unlikely to gain traction in the residential aren in the near future.

10G or 40G are pretty absurd because the average residence can’t possible make realistic use of it… Most residences have a 1G bottle neck to the modem.

Owen