Any sign of supply chain returning to normal?

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri May 20 08:34:26 UTC 2022

On 5/20/22 10:24, Saku Ytti wrote:

> That's engineering, understanding what risks and compromises are worth
> carrying. If you do it by the book, you're not even needed, just
> 0-rate AS/PS services to your RFP and the vendor is happy to do it by
> the book for you.
> And fully agreed, in many cases it makes sense to run boxes to the
> ground until they physically stop working. You just need to figure out
> how to handle the MTTR well.

We are going to need more 100Gbps data centre switching in other PoP's
in the coming months, and we like the 7508E for this, even if Arista
have EoL'ed it. So for those builds, we'll grab them off the open
market, and cold spare with a full chassis in copy. Way cheaper than
when we bought them from Arista, even with the ongoing mark-up on the
pre-owned space.

Arista are also not developing anymore new or maintenance code for the
supervisor that runs on the 7508E, but we are fine with that because
this is not an Internet-facing box, and is only doing Layer 2 with
features that will never change (802.1Q and LACP is about as advanced as
it gets, for us).

Mark.