Re: MSA’s and network architecture

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri May 20 08:27:08 UTC 2022

On 5/18/22 11:30, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> Agreed - but wouldn't it be fair to say that, nonetheless, the
> availability of an MSA
> supports the development of network architecture?

Of course, it would. After all, we want two sides to be able to speak to
each other, to create this Internet :-).

> With an MSA, there is some limited, common basis for a discussion in
> an ecosystem of vendors and network operators.
> That should support development of architecture.

It's nice and stable as a technology stabilizes. But when the next thing
needs to be built (400Gbps today, 800Gbps tomorrow, maybe 1Tbps in 5
years or less), vendors like to compete on who can come up with the
first (not the best) solution. Industry then catches up a while later.

Just look at what Cisco tried with the CPAK. While novel, didn't work
out too well for them, and the customers that bought tons of them. But,
fair point, CFP2 was still dithering, so...

We've seen the same with Apple, and how ship their devices with
"unproven" tech. They've been lucky, so far...

Mark.