[EXTERNAL] Re: Free-ish Linux Netflow collector/analyser options

Compton, Rich A Rich.Compton at charter.com
Tue May 17 15:45:13 UTC 2022

The ELK stack does a good job of collecting netflow records with the addition of Filebeat.  Check out my tattle-tale tool that collects netflow data: https://github.com/racompton/tattle-tale It has numerous rules in logstash/conf.d to try to just look for spoofed DDoS amplification requests but if you remove those rules (except for 40-ifName.conf<https://github.com/racompton/tattle-tale/blob/main/logstash/conf.d/40-ifName.conf>
and 50-reverse-dns.conf<https://github.com/racompton/tattle-tale/blob/main/logstash/conf.d/50-reverse-dns.conf>) it should be a pretty nice netflow collection solution.  If you are looking for a free solution to identify DDoS attacks from netflow and generate Flowspec rules, check out https://github.com/pavel-odintsov/fastnetmon
Also, here’s a doc for best practices when implementing Flowspec: https://www.m3aawg.org/flowspec-BP

-Rich