Newbie x Cisco IOS-XR x ROV: BCP to not harassing peer(s) and upstream(s)

Lukas Tribus lukas at ltri.eu
Wed May 11 19:36:36 UTC 2022

On Wed, 11 May 2022 at 21:22, Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:

> On 5/11/22 10:53 AM, Job Snijders via NANOG wrote:
> > This knob slightly increase your own memory consumption, but makes your
> > router more “neighbourly”! :-)
>
> I question how accurate "slightly" is.
>
> My understanding is that soft reconfiguration inbound (whatever the
> syntax for a given IOS is) causes a full copy of the received prefix
> list to be retained in memory for each of the peers with soft
> reconfiguration enabled.
>
> So, to me, the amount of impact to memory will be based on both the
> number of prefixes advertised and the number of peers that soft
> reconfiguration is enabled on.
>
> Please enlighten me if I'm wrong / misunderstanding something.

True and the amount of memory used per prefix also depends on things
like BGP communities.

When I tested this, on 32 bit XR I had a memory increase of about 400
MB for a full feed 2 years ago.

But with or without soft-reconfig inbound always, your memory usage
increases with more prefixes. I don't see any drastic change in
scaling numbers because of this on today's HW.

Lukas