Newbie x Cisco IOS-XR x ROV: BCP to not harassing peer(s) and upstream(s)

Pirawat WATANAPONGSE pirawat.w at ku.th
Wed May 11 16:43:42 UTC 2022

Dear Guru(s),

We used to run our ‘Gateway Router’ with ROV turned on.
Then, we “upgraded” it to a Cisco NCS-55A1 (5500 Series) running IOS-XR
just a few weeks ago.

Consequently, during my rummage through Google for a (the?) best (ROV)
configuration template for the new router,
I found a tutorial by Philip Smith
[Reference: https://www.bgp4all.com/pfs/_media/workshops/02-rpki.pdf, Slide
#55]
which cautioned me of Cisco IOS-XR essentially “harassing” all peers and
upstreams with ‘Route Refresh’ whenever there is a VRP change.
The tutorial advised turning on ‘Soft Reconfiguration’ to help with the
problem.

On the one hand, we have a very special relationship with our upstream
[they’re kind of community transit provider; we have an in-kind stake in
them as well], so we obviously don’t want to cause them grievances [their
grievance is our grievance].
On the other hand, we can't afford to just throw away a newly bought
gateway and buy a new one.

So, here goes the question:
Is setting 'Soft Reconfiguration' enough for me to keep ROV running?
If not, is there any other solution?
Or am I screwed anyway?

I would very much appreciate clarification and pointer(s) to the
solution(s).

Thank you in advance for the help,

Pirawat.