Announcement of Experiments

Marco Chiesa mar.chiesa at gmail.com
Sat May 7 19:47:07 UTC 2022

Hi all,

 We would like to thank the community for sharing both their concerns and
support.

 We have decided that we will NOT run the experiment for now.

 We would like to clarify some of the existing concerns.

Concern #1: Risks about operational disruption.
We would have only announced an IP prefix that we control and for which the
only data traffic will be the one that we generate during the experiment.

Concern #2: Reputation damage.
We did not think about this point. When talking with our testbed's contact
points, they suggested surrounding each poisoned AS with two occurrences of
the testbed ASN in the AS path. As an example, when poisoning ASN_1 and
ASN_2, our AS path would have looked like <ORIGIN_ASN --- ASN_1 ---
ORIGIN_ASN ---  ASN_2 --- ORIGIN_ASN>. In this way, any peering inference
systems would only infer one relationship with ORIGIN_ASN, which can easily
be filtered.

Concern #3: Poisoning usage.
As it was mentioned in a previous email, AS path poisoning can be used for
steering inbound traffic away from some networks. In our experiment, this
would have meant that our generated traffic would have not traversed the
poisoned AS networks. There was a recent in-depth study on the level of
effectiveness of poisoning for inbound traffic steering:
https://www.ndss-symposium.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/24240-paper.pdf .

Best regards,
Marco