Court orders for blocking of streaming services

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Mon May 9 01:54:46 UTC 2022

Mel Beckman wrote:

You are confusing "illegal" and "guilty".

The first party publicly transmitting illegal contents
or links to the contents are guilty, which means the
links themselves are illegal.

But, DMCA makes some third party providers providing
illegal contents or illegal links guilty only if some
condition of DMCA is met.

Same for civil liability.

> You're incorrect about the DMCA when you say "DMCA treats 'linking'
> to illegal contents as illegal as the contents themselves".

See above.

> You > must knowingly link to works that clearly infringe somebody's
> copyright.

Same is true if you are transmitting not links but the contents
themselves.

 > A link to the Israel.TV websites themselves is not to a specific
 > work, so it's not covered by DMCA. So first, as long as you don't
 > know that a work is infringing someone's copyright,

You totally miss the point of the order, though I wrote:

: As the order is to those "having actual knowledge of this Default
: Judgment and Permanent Injunction Order",

					Masataka Ohta