Question re prevention of enumeration with DNSSEC (NSEC3, etc.)

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun May 8 22:23:34 UTC 2022

It appears that Ray Bellis <ray at bellis.me.uk> said:
>> On March 27, 1991, in a case that transformed the nascent online database publishing industry, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously that there is no
>copyright protection for purely factual products such as a telephone directory white pages.
>
>I wasn’t talking about US law…

Is there any case law where someone has asserted a database right for a DNS zone?

It seems like a rather stupid thing to do. If someone asserted such a
right, I would make sure not to infringe it by ensuring no entries
from that database entered my DNS caches or other software.

Also, I see that in a decision last year the ECJ required "substantial
extraction" also caused "significant detriment" to the investment in
the database.  I'm having trouble coming up with a scenario in which copying
even the entire thing would impair the investment unless they are going to
assert that the structure of the names somehow gave away secrets about their
business plans.

R's,
John