Question re prevention of enumeration with DNSSEC (NSEC3, etc.)

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sat May 7 19:06:00 UTC 2022

Actually, that source quotes the Feist decision. The rest of the discussion makes it pretty clear that domain registries are not copyrightable.

“Thus, a database of unprotectable works (such as basic facts) is protected only as a compilation. Since the underlying data is not protected, U.S. copyright law does not prevent the extraction of unprotected data from an otherwise protectable database. In the example of a database of presidential quotations, it would therefore not be a violation of copyright law to extract (copy) a quotation from George Washington from the database. On the other hand, it would be violation to copy the entire database, as long as the database met the Feist<https://bitlaw.com/copyright/database.html#Feist> originality and creativity requirements.”

The key problem is that no domain registry meets the originality and creativity requirements set forth by SCOTUS in Feist.

I am not a lawyer either, but I have a lot of initials after my name, just like some lawyers that post on NANOG :)

 -mel beckman, ABC, ACM, DEF, PFL, MEL, SEL, IFR, A&P, X&Y, QWERTY, ASDFG, NANOG,and St. Anthony’s Elementary School Diploma