RE: 10 Do's + Don'ts for Visiting Québec + Register Now for N85!

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Fri May 6 19:19:59 UTC 2022

I think I have actually heard « tire-toi une bûche » before!  But it was as a child, visiting our annual Fête du Voyageur historical re-enactment, and certainly not in any normal day-to-day setting.
I’m just happy that an American author (who quite likely has never been to Montreal), writing for an overwhelmingly-American audience, recognized that we have separate cultures in the first place.

Meanwhile, one thing I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere yet is ArriveCAN[1] and/or eTAs[2].
If you’re trying to enter Canada right now you must use the ArriveCAN system before you get to the border, or you’ll likely be denied entry.  That means doing it before you get on the plane, not after you land.
Anyone entering Canada using a Canadian or American passport should not need an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization, sort of an e-visa), but pretty much everyone else does (e.g. passports from Mexico or anywhere in the Caribbean, in this case).

Absolutely check this out for yourself, links are below, I am not guaranteeing in any way the accuracy, nor the durability, of what I’ve written here.

[2] Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) - Canada.ca<https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta.html>
General info: Visit Canada - Canada.ca<https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada.html?outside>
Official landing page: Welcome / Bienvenue | Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada / Affaires Étrangères, Commerce et Développement Canada (canadainternational.gc.ca)<https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/>

I already wrote all of this up for a conference based in Ottawa, that sees a large qty. of int’l visitors from around the world: BSDCan 2022 - Travel<https://www.bsdcan.org/2022/travel.php#mozTocId145341>  Travelers from the US generally don’t have the kind of issues at customs I’ve described there.

-Adam

P.S. ArriveCAN is a pain to Canadians, too, I can’t just pop across the border for shopping trips whenever I want any more without planning for it in advance.  Yeah, I know, first-world problems…

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[MERLIN]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
https://www.merlin.mb.ca<https://www.merlin.mb.ca/>