Court orders for blocking of streaming services

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu May 5 10:47:12 UTC 2022

Joe -

All excellent questions.  The Internet is a relatively new phenomenon when it comes to the US court system and thus there has always been an ongoing risk of “interesting” court orders that are shaped by primarily by the plaintiffs understanding of the Internet (rather than being shaped and/or anchored in the reality of those who operate the various services that actually make the Internet function.)

I would suspect that several of the larger ISPs involved and the some of the providers of DNS services will respond to such an order, but it is not assured.  (ARIN regularly reviews federal orders issued that might preclude operation of the Internet number registry service accordingly to the wishes of the community, and the issuance of these orders were noted but do not appear not applicable to our services.)

It’s also possible that some of the US telecommunications/Internet trade associations might respond, as they have regulatory and legal folks dedicated to such activities (i.e. WISPA, FISPA, NCTA, CA, CTIA, etc.)  – If you are a member of one of those associations, then it’s worth inquiring with them.

Best wishes,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO