Announcement of Experiments

Lars Prehn lprehn at mpi-inf.mpg.de
Mon May 2 19:45:07 UTC 2022

I think I get why you'd always like to opt-in rather than opt-out after
short notice. Yet for this particular line of research, having operators
explicitly opt-in sort of defeats the entire purpose of poisoning their
ASN. Say you'd manipulate/eavesdrop/whatever my traffic and I
consequently would like to poison you, then you'd surely not provide me
with the permissions to use your ASN after I nicely asked you.

If the problem is not poisoning itself, I guess the "we just test a
bunch of random ASNs" is the problem. Yet, figuring out how many/which
ASNs adhere to and/or ignore poisoning is valuable for traffic
engineering, censorship evasion, etc.

Out of curiosity: If not poisoning the path, how would you avoid that
your traffic passes a certain ASN, especially in the reverse direction?
To make BGP Communities a viable option, I guess there are not enough
ASNs providing community encodings to control route redistribution
fine-grained enough.

@Tom: I don't get the point about "announcing address space that's not
ours." Do you mean "originating" address space or "redistributing" it?
If the former, I think the experiment makes anouncements with paths of
the form "47065 A B C D 47065"---the left-most is needed for peer
checks, the right-most to pass ROV and/or IRR route-origin
checks---i.e., your ASN would never be the origin. If the latter, I'd
guess you'd also redistribute routes from your providers/peers (i.e.,
address space that's not yours) to your customers and vice-versa. I
guess one could argue that you don't want to be seen next to certain
ASNs in the path due to business relationships/politics (?) but beyond
that, why are these things problematic?

Kind regards,

Lars