Announcement of Experiments

Lars Prehn lprehn at mpi-inf.mpg.de
Mon May 2 18:06:17 UTC 2022

Short Disclaimer: I frequently use the PEERING testbed myself, so I'm
genuinely interested in where and why people draw the boundary of what's
fine and what's not.

Iirc., the route collectors see a (drastically varying) number of
poisoned routes (assuming everything within a loop is poisoning) in the
DFZ at any point in time, affecting a (drastically varying) number of
ASNs, prefixes, and paths. So why would you expect this experiment to be
noticeable at all---I mean, compared to the day-to-day, "1% of the
Internet is beyond broken and does Yolo things" noise? Very similar
experiments have run in the past (e.g., [1] in 2018); did you notice them?

Would poisoning be tolerated if the PEERING testbed would be, e.g., some
security-obsessed org that wants to avoid that your infrastructure
touches any of its precious packets during the forwarding process? I
guess what I want to figure out is: Is it the intention behind the
poisoning experiments that bothers people or is the act of poisoning
itself?

Kind regards,
Lars

[1] https://arxiv.org/pdf/1811.03716.pdf