Announcement of Experiments

Alexandros Milolidakis amilolid at gmail.com
Sun May 1 21:59:36 UTC 2022

Hi NANOG,

We are a group of researchers from the KTH Royal Institute of Technology
(Sweden).

Starting from May 9 until May 31, we plan to conduct a research study
involving AS-PATH poisoning to measure how reliable route collectors are to
report BGP poisoned routes.

We will use the PEERING Testbed [1] to announce the following two prefixes:

 - 184.164.236.0/24

 - 184.164.237.0/24

for our AS-path poisoning experiments.

The above experimental prefixes do not host any production services, hence
user traffic will *not* be affected.

Furthermore, we will always start the AS-PATH with the correct ASN as the
origin.

Lastly, to keep the AS-PATH short, we will announce no more than four
Poisoned ASNs per announcement. The frequency of the announcements will not
exceed four per hour.

If, for any reason, you want to opt out from us using your ASN for our
experiments, you can do so in the following form before May 9:

https://forms.gle/ZvZaodndPhCqMvR89

I remain at your disposal for any questions.

Best regards,

Alexandros

[1] https://peering.ee.columbia.edu/