IPv6 Only

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Thu Mar 31 20:09:32 UTC 2022

On 2022-03-31, at 20:54, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:

> And yet, in order to "turn off the lights on IPv4", we're going to have to
> root through all those dark corners of code

The part that you might be missing is that those dark corners are also where the vulnerabilities hide.

If a piece of software can’t do v6, it probably hasn’t been maintained for a long time.

With software bills of materials coming up, we may have a bit more leverage on these graveyard decks than we have had until now.

Your main argument unfortunately does hold water; the timeline you propose, maybe not so much.

Grüße, Carsten