PoE, Comcast Modems, and Service OutagesPyle

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Mar 31 17:24:08 UTC 2022

On 3/31/22 8:40 AM, Abraham Y. Chen wrote:
> 3)    So, it is possible that the site with the reported "PoE induced"
> issues may be somehow experiencing the above related phenomena. This
> kind of situations are almost impossible to duplicate at another site.
> It has to be diagnosed with pains-taking detective efforts, such as
> inserting isolation subsystems suggested by one colleague. Since this
> phenomenon takes a month or so to show up, discipline and patience are
> the virtue.

I fully acknowledge that such things /are/ possible.  However I believe
they are somewhere between quite and extremely rare.

My belief is that the support technician was using something that's just
true enough or possible enough as an excuse to justify something and
make it someone else's problem.

This is another reason why I'd go for the $100 optical coupling.  Mostly
so that I could politely pat said technician on the cheek saying "Yes,
that's possible, but it's not the problem we're discussing in this case
because of optical coupling / electrical isolation."

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die