IPv6 "bloat" history

Pascal Thubert (pthubert) pthubert at cisco.com
Thu Mar 31 12:18:19 UTC 2022

Don't sigh! You envisioned it and we built it, William.

We have IPv6 mesh networks with thousands on nodes per mesh deployed around you. The standard is called WI-SUN. WI-SUN totals millions of nodes deployed in North America; so what you described cannot not only be envisioned as you did, it can be built and deployed at scale, even on low power far reach wireless.

The core L3 components for Wi-SUN are RFC 8505 which is your link state ND thingy, RFC 6550 that does the routing over what OSPF called P2MP and which really means non-transitive, and RFC 9010 that redistribute the former in the latter. We are now working on registering multicast, anycast and prefixes in the same model.

It's just that the wired world (including operators) are mostly unaware of these capabilities. Whether they are even interested is not a given either. Louis the XVth said "après moi le déluge". I read pretty much the same thing on the list in the recent days as a migration strategy.

Certainly, complaining from a comfort zone is a lot easier than acting out to solve the problem. "La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile" is another good one.

I claim that bashing at the IETF for IPv6 as it was 20 years ago is unfair and that a little refresh / resync is in order. If what we produced since in an attempt to solve the issues you describe can help, then ask for it, amend it, say something, so something.

Today, decoupling the L1/2 (physical) network from the L3 abstractions of subnet and link is totally doable. This yields a world of possibilities for deployments. For all those (or the very few) who care, there's https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-thubert-6man-ipv6-over-wireless-06

Keep safe;

Pascal